I never liked lasagna so I created my own recipe to guarantee that I would enjoy it haha. This seems to be a common theme on this blog… I keep making recipes of food I hated when I wasn’t vegan and make delicious vegan versions of them! It’s interesting… but I do have to say this is BEST lasagna I’ve ever had. Again, I don’t like lasagna so that probably doesn’t mean much haha. Please tell me if you agree after you try it for yourself (:
- 9 individual lasagna noodles (make sure to check the ingredients as many lasagna noodles contain egg!)
- 2 Field Roast Italian sausage links
- 2 Roma tomatoes sliced
- 1 medium to large zucchini sliced
- 1/2 a pint of mushrooms or 2 cups sliced
- 2 jars of vegan tomato spaghetti sauce of choice (fat-free sauces tend to be really watery though)
- tofu ricotta adapted from Miyoko’s Artisan Vegan Cheese cookbook
- 1 medium firm tofu
- 1 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup of vegan unsweetened plain yogurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- few dashes of oregano
- few dashes of garlic powder
- vegan Go Veggie Parmesan for topping (optional, but highly recommended!)
- fresh basil for topping (optional, but also highly recommended haha)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the lasagna noodles as instructed (remember you’ll only need 9 individual noodles).
- Make the tofu ricotta by crumbling the tofu with your *clean* hands and then combine all other ingredients by mixing with a fork.
- Now we’re going to layer the lasagna in a 9×13 pan:
- First layer, add a little bit of tomato sauce to cover the bottom of the pan and place 3 lasagna noodles down.
- Second layer, add enough tomato sauce to cover the noodles. Then, make rows of veggies using half the tomatoes, mushrooms, and zucchini. Crumble 1 Field Roast sausage on top and add desired dollops of tofu ricotta. Add a small amount of tomato sauce to slightly coat veggies and place another 3 lasagna noodles down.
- Third layer, repeat number #2, using up remaining veggies, Field Roast sausage, and most of the tofu ricotta. Keep some tofu ricotta for the top layer.
- Top layer, coat top noodles with remaining tomato sauce and dollop with the remaining tofu ricotta.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 – 25 mins. Let cool for at least 10 mins before serving.
- Cut into 12 squares (3 x 4). Serves 4-6 people. Top with the vegan parmesan and basil. Enjoy!