First, I would like to say how much I hate nachos. I never understood them. Sure, as a kid I would eat those Lunchables or movie theater style nachos—the ones with the crappy corn chips and plastic cheese. But even the adult ones just look gross. Nonetheless, I married someone who does like them and because I love him, I decided to veganize it! I have created something so amazing and so delicious that yes, even I love them!!!! They are extremely easy to make too, especially if you make the cheese sauce ahead of time. These bomb, guilt-free nachos are perfect for any occasion, even dinner!
- corn tortillas
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 1 can of black or pinto beans
- 1 jar of salsa
- 3 medium white or yellow potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2-3 avocados
- 1 lime
- 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cups nutritional yeast
- spices (cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, turmeric, and salt)
- pickled jalapenos (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Start bringing a large stove pot of water to a boil and a skillet to medium heat.
- Now you’ll need to cut corn tortillas into small triangles. First, cut in half. Then, on each half, cut into thirds. Make enough corn tortilla pieces to cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Squeeze half a lime over the corn tortilla pieces and sprinkle cumin, smoked paprika, and garlic powder afterwards. Place in the oven for about 10 mins, watching carefully for burning, then set aside.
- Cut potatoes and carrots into smaller pieces. Place them into the boiling water.
- Crumble tofu into the skillet as if you’re making tofu scramble. Add salsa and beans. Let the water from the salsa boil off a bit and beans to heat up. Set aside.
- When potatoes and carrots are soft, use a utensil to pick out chunks and place inside a blender. ***Do not strain water*** Pour some potato water into the blender, just enough to smooth it into cheese sauce.
- Add nutritional yeast, turmeric, and juice of the lemon to the blender. Blend gradually until high speed. Set aside.
- Mash avocados with lime, salt, and cilantro until guacamole consistency. Set aside.
- ASSEMBLE! Place tortilla chips over 2-3 plates. Pour cheese sauce over tortilla chips, scoop tofu and bean mixture on top, finalize with a plop of guacamole and some jalapenos. Ta-Da!