Learn how to make BBQ “pulled pork” from fresh jackfruit! By making your own “pulled pork”, you’ll spend less money and get more servings than buying a pre-packaged and pre-cooked one from the “Meat Alternatives” section in Whole Foods. You can also make it oil free and spice it to your taste! Most recipes call for canned jackfruit, but I actually could not find any so I used a fresh one. I thought it was going to be extremely difficult and complicated, but to my surprise, it wasn’t! I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I did, it’s super easy and quick!!
- cut slice of fresh jackfruit (buy from Whole Foods produce)
- veggie broth
- 1 bottle of honey-free BBQ sauce
- 1/2 red onion
- mushrooms (optional)
- minced garlic
- spices (I used salt, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast, chili powder, and pepper)
- Cut your jackfruit into disk shapes. Then, cut off the rind and scoop out the big white seeds. Now cut the jackfruit into smallish ~2 inch pieces and place them into a large stove pot.
- Fill the pot with veggie broth, just until it’s covering the jackfruit.
- Boil the jackfruit on high heat until slightly soft (about 15 mins).
- Water fry onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Add strained jackfruit.
- Toss in spices and continue frying for 2 mins. Add BBQ sauce and fry for another 5 mins, pulling and shredding jackfruit if needed.
- Serve heat on a bun, with rice, on tacos, etc.!