I was given the opportunity to try some Follow Your Heart Vegan Eggs. They come in a cute cardboard “egg” carton, but it’s a actually an algae powder that you mix with water. Most egg recipes can be made with tofu, but for those who cannot tolerate soy or choose not to eat it, this is a great option. It’s also about the same price as free range eggs (that deceiving label), so there is no eggscue not to buy this cruelty-free option. The Follow Heart Vegan Egg gives a very similar texture to eggs! Plus, it smells like eggs when you mix it with water. My mom used to make this quiche around the holidays and it was my absolute favourite! Now here is the vegan version for you all!!
- Frozen gluten-free and vegan pie crust (verify that it’s soy-free if desired)
- 8 Tbsp of Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg
- 2 cups of *cold* water
- 1/4 cup of milk alternative, like almond milk
- Desired veggies: I used red bell pepper, onion, and spinach
- 1 Tbsp of high-heat oil
- 1/4 of nutritional yeast
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix the vegan egg powder with the *cold* water. Has to be cold water in order to bind well. Whisk thoroughly until no clumps.
- Whisk milk alternative, salt, and nutritional yeast with the whisked vegan egg.
- Fry desired veggies in a pan with the high heat oil, until semi-soft.
- Fold veggies in the vegan egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into your frozen gluten-free and vegan pie crust. Recommend adding a foil necklace on the edges of the crust to prevent burning.
- Bake for about 40 – 45 mins. Enjoy!